Animator: Douglas “Doug” Bennett
*Birth*: November 11 (Year unknown)
*Occupation/Title*: Supervising Animator at Walt Disney Animation Studios (17+ years)
*Bio* *Summary*: Currently lives in Glendale, California with wife and two kids.
*Early* *Life/Family*: He is from Scarborough, Ontario. Married to June Bennett on May 29, 1992. He has 4 sisters (Susant, Nancy, Judy, and Trish), a brother named Ted Bennett, a mom named Ruth Bennett, 3 nieces (Lalena and Eva Bennett, Jackie Shahmurat), 2 nephews (Eli Bennett and Andrew Shahmurat). Has a son named Kyle and a daughter named Grace.
*Education/Training*: Sir John A Macdonald (class of 1983 Toronto, Ontario) then Sheridan College (class of 1988, animation major)
*Career* *Outline*: Right out of Sheridan College moved to Ireland where he worked on films, commercials, and TV shows (All Dogs Go To Heaven) from 1988 to 1991. Was a directing animator at screen animation Dublin, animator at Dagda film Dublin, animator at phoenix animation, Toronto, animator at nelvana, animator at Karen Johnson animation Toronto, animator at Sullivan Bluth studios Dublin. Then in 1995 went to work at Disney and has been there every since. Disney picked him up because they were looking for traditional animators willing to train on computers.
*Comments* *On* *Style*: Doug originally liked traditional animation and had a hard time transitioning to computer animation. However, now he says he probably wouldn’t want to go back to 2d animation. Doug still uses methods from traditional with CG animation (i.e. keyframes first).
- (Based off of the podcast interview) Doug is a friendly, talkative man who is passionate about his field. When working on Wreck-It Ralph, he admitted to not knowing much about video games, but didn’t let that stop him from doing his best on the project.
- In his podcast interview on http://www.ianimate.net/podcasts/item/interview-with-wdas-animation-supervisor-doug-bennett.html, Doug recounted how they went through many different ideas for game references in the Disney movie *Wreck-It Ralph*. He recounted how during the scene where Ralph is looking through the lost in found box for a medal and he pulls out different game item references for the audience to recognize, they originally wanted to put the Zelda Tri-force in the box as one of the things he throws away. However, they weren’t able to get permission to use it in the movie. They then decided to use an angry bird “that Ralph wouldn’t recognize because it is an app game rather than an arcade game, and when he threw it behind him it would explode.” However, once the owners of Angry Birds saw the clip, they contacted the team and said, “—they didn’t appreciate their character being in a box with Zangief’s underwear.” So they ended up scrapping that idea too and put the exclamation point in the box instead.
- Likes “Idelwood” band (facebook)
- Isn’t a huge video game fan, which made Wreck-It Ralph an interesting experience for him (podcast interview)
- 1986: Ewoks (TV series – Layout artist)
- 1986: The Care Bears Family (TV series – Layout artist)
- 1987: My Pet Monster (TV series - Designer)
- 1987: The Care Bears Family (TV series - Designer)
- 1989: All Dogs Go to Heaven (character key clean-up artist)
- 1991: Rock-A-Doodle (character animator)
- 1991: The Wish That Changed Christmas (TV Movie – Animator)
- 1992: Fish Police (TV series – animator)
- 1992: FernFully: The Last Rainforest (Animator)
- 1993: Once Upon a Forest (Animator: Phoenix Animation Ltd.)
- 1994: Asterix Conquers America (Animator/assistant animator)
- 1994: Felidae (animator)
- 1994: A Troll in Central Park (character animator)
- 1996: All Dogs Go to Heaven 2 (directing animator)
- 1999: Tarzan (Animator: Jane)
- 1999: Fantasia/2000 (Animator – segments “Piano Concerto No. 2 + Pomp and Circumstance)
- 2000: Dinosaur (Animator)
- 2002: Treasure Planet (animator: B.E.N.)
- 2005: Chicken Little (supervising animator: Runt of the litter + fish out of water)
- 2008: Bolt (Animation supervisor)
- 2009: Super Rhino (video short – animation supervisor)
- 2009: Prep and Landing (TV short – animator)
- 2010: Tangled (Animator)
- 2012: Wreck-It Ralph (supervising animator)
- 2013: Frozen (animator)
- He was nominated in the Visual Effects Society Awards for “Outstanding Animation in an Animated Motion Picture” for Disney movie *Bolt *in 2009
*Contributors To This Listing*:
Alicia Michiko Chan
Animators Hall of Fame