1961 in Cambridge, England
Director/Animator/Story Board Artist
Married to Wendy Wells with two children, Meredith and Teagan.
De Montfort University where he studied audio-visual design.
He started his first job with Richard William’s studio where he worked on animations for commercials and other shows. He became the supervising animator for Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Afterwards he joined Stephen Spielberg’s Amblimation studio. While at Amblimation he directs An American Tail: Fievel Goes West, We’re Back: A Dinosaur’s Story and Balto. However due to theatrical failures of the first two, Amblimation studio was closed down. But from the ashes DreamWorks studios came to be and from that his first major directing job with The Prince of Egypt. From there Wells worked on different DreamWorks movies until 2002 when he directed his first and only live action movie, the retelling of his Great Grandfather’s The Time Machine. The movie seemed doomed to fail when Simon Wells handed over the directing reins to a different director 18 days before the end of shooting. Unsurprisingly the movie did not do well and he went back to doing animation work for many DreamWorks movies for almost ten years. He then landed the directing position for Disney’s Mars Needs Moms. Unfortunately this movie also flopped in theaters and was quickly sent straight to DVD. Since then he has returned back to DreamWorks to work on their animations.
Comments On Style:
Though I have not spoke with him personally, he seems like he is quite the family man and is very passionate about his work.I only found a few images in the interviews but it seems like he is also a talented artist It is unfortunate that someone who has such knowledge of the industry, having worked on many movies that did very well, is having a rough time when developing his own works.
· 1988 Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Supervising animator)
· 1989 Back to the Future Part II
· 1990 Back to the Future Part III
· 1991 An American Tail: Fievel Goes West (director)
· 1993 We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story (director)
· 1995 Balto (director)
· 1998 Antz (additional story artist)
· 1998 The Prince of Egypt (director)
· 2000 The Road to El Dorado (additional story artist)
· 2000 Chicken Run (additional story artist)
· 2001 Shrek
· 2002 The Time Machine (director)
· 2002 Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (story artist)
· 2003 Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (story artist)
· 2004 Shrek 2 (additional story artist)
· 2004 Shark Tale (additional story artist)
· 2004 The Polar Express (digital visual concept consultant)
· 2005 Madagascar (story artist)
· 2006 Over the Hedge (story artist)
· 2006 Flushed Away (story artist)
· 2007 Shrek the Third (story artist)
· 2008 Kung Fu Panda (action sequence supervisor/story artists)
· 2011 Mars Needs Moms (director/writer)
· 2011 Kung Fu Panda 2 (additional story/story artist)
· 2013 The Croods (story artist)
· 1999 Nominated for an Annie for Outstanding Individual Achievement for Directing in an Animated Feature Production on The Prince of Egypt
· 2003 Nominated for an Annie for Outstanding Storyboarding in an Animated Feature Production on Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron.
· 2007 Nominated for an Annie for Best Storyboarding in an Animated Feature Production on Flushed Away
Contributors to This Listing:
Animators Hall of Fame